The Volunteer Groups Alliance* is a global coalition of organisations that contribute to sustainable development through volunteering. The alliance supports its member organisations to promote the contribution that volunteers make to sustainable development and to gain recognition for the important role volunteers play at local, regional and national levels and in the United Nations (UN) processes.
Alliance members reflect the broad diversity of volunteerism, ranging from international volunteer and cooperation agencies to volunteer-involving NGOs and domestic organisations that work through volunteers in their own countries. They also reflect the diversity of volunteer models, including online, employee and Diaspora volunteering.
The global nature of the alliance also reflects the universality of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development by bringing together members from civil society and the public and private sectors from diverse locations.
The Volunteer Groups Alliance came together in 2013 following a United Nations Volunteers programme (UNV) stakeholder meeting and the annual IVCO Conference to advocate for the support and recognition of volunteerism in the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). UNV supports the Volunteer Groups Alliance, facilitating engagement to help ensure the importance of volunteerism is recognised in the implementation of the SDGs.
*The Volunteer Groups Alliance was formerly known as the Post-2015 Volunteering Working Group.
Join the Volunteer Groups Alliance
The Alliance is supported by a Coordinator based in New York, and decisions are made by a Steering Group that meets monthly by teleconference. Co-chairs are elected by the Steering Group and lead the work of the alliance on a voluntary basis.
Organisations can apply to join the Steering Group or the wider alliance. Alliance members are kept up to date on activities and mobilised to take action as needed. Members can also join project groups, which focus on specific objectives over a short period of time.
David Styers, Coordinator, Volunteer Groups Alliance
Mei Cobb, Co-chair, Volunteer Groups Alliance and United Way Worldwide
Philip Goodwin, Co-chair, Volunteer Groups Alliance, Forum Board of Directors and VSO
- Ardoch Youth Foundation
- Australian Business Volunteers (ABV)
- Australian Red Cross (ARC)
- Building Bridges Coalition (BBC)
- Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI)
- Commission on Voluntary Service and Action (CVSA)
- Cuso International
- France Volontaires
- Global Volunteers
- Good Deeds Day
- Habitat for Humanity International
- Hetavad Nigeria
- IMPACT 2030
- International Association for Volunteer Effort (IAVE)
- International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
- International Forum for Volunteering in Development (Forum)
- International Partnership and Development Organisation (IPADO)
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)
- Johns Hopkins University
- Kenya Volunteer Involving Organisations (VIO) Society
- Peace Corps
- Realized Worth
- Restless Development
- Service For Peace
- Scope Global
- The Nature Conservancy
- United Nations Volunteer (UNV) programme
- United Way Worldwide
- Volunteering New Zealand
- Volunteer Service Abroad (VSA)
- Volunteer Spirit Network
- Volunteering South Australia and Northern Territory (VSA & NT)
- World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS)
- World Organization of the Scout Movement
- World University Service of Canada (WUSC)
- World Young Men’s Christian Association (World YMCA)
- Youth Service America (YSA)